Monday, May 22, 2006

A Typical Monday Night

Aren't a lot of you dying to know how a newly-single, 30-something woman in my situation spends her typical weekday evening? Me too. I don't really know what most women like me do--I only know what I do. Tonight, for example, broke down like this:

5:30: Went to get a haircut
6:30: Got home
6:30 - 7:30: Did some stretches; played with cats; blogged
7:30 - 9:00: Worked on Chapter 5 first pages
9:00 - 10:00: Made dinner--macaroni & cheese, 1 beer, 2 chocolate chip cookies (Hey, I'm allowed to eat like a white-trash bachelor once in a while. For lunch I had a chicken breast and steamed vegetables. O.K., it was chicken cordon bleu.) Ate dinner while watching a poker tournament. Also browsed through a BusinessWeek, looking for stuff for my book. Also played with the cats again. (It was "Catnip Hour.")
10:00 - 10:30: Watched Anthony Bourdain's show ("No Reservations") on the Travel Channel, primarily because I've developed a serious crush on him. (It's also just a good show.)
10:30 - 11:00--i.e., now: Sitting here blogging with cat (Alex) sitting on my lap and purring loudly and rubbing his paw all over my face and neck. (Yes, it does make it awkward to type.)
[Pending] 11:00 - 12:00: Take a bath, with a book and a glass of wine. Go to bed.

So there it is--all very typical of a night in. I imagine that for some people, such a night would be boring and/or lonely, while other people would give anything for the solitude and chance to relax. Everything's relative, right?

Is this why I've been labeled a moral relativist in the past? Hmmm . . . .

3 comments:

Nick said...

Bourdain has been so self righteous in the past that I refuse to watch his show. But I get the crush - tall, gourmet, globe trotting, try anything.

Sounds like a good night to me.

Sven Golly said...

I love the mundane, slice-of-life details - woke up, got out of bed, dragged a comb across my head - expand it and you've got your own Ulysses....Yes, yes.

flipper said...

If I ever write anything as long, boring, and narcissistic as Ulysses, please shoot me.

(I know, I know, greatest novel of the 20th century, blah blah blah. One person's "great" is another person's "torture." The English language doesn't have to go through that much manipulation to be interesting.)