Tuesday, May 16, 2006

In Over My Head

This is probably not going to be the most pleasant of posts.

As I'm sure many of you have noticed, I haven't been blogging much recently. Of course, this isn't the first time I've been negligent. In my previous lapses, I've always blamed it on 1) laziness, or 2) not having enough time alone in which to really sit down and write. Ever since the Major Life Event (which I'm just going to start referring to as the divorce--it's not like it's a big secret or anything), I can't claim a lack of time alone. That's one thing I have plenty of. (I don't mean to sound like I'm whining about it--it's mostly by choice.) Unfortunately, all of this wonderful time alone has dovetailed with my project at work ratcheting up to a mind-numbing level of my time and attention required. To give you an idea of what the week's been like so far:

Saturday: worked 3 hours at home
Sunday night: worked 5 hours at home
Monday: worked from 8:30 to 6:00 in the office and then from 7:00 to 10:00 at home (for a total of 12 1/2 hours)
Today: worked from 8:30 to 5:00 in the office and will put in another 3 to 4 hours tonight (that's another 12 hours or so.)

You get the idea. The thing is, I could work like this every day and not get caught up. I will never be caught up--it's just not physically possible. I'm burned out already, and we've just started production. And I can't really talk to anyone about it. People just tell me, "Oh, you shouldn't work so much. Don't worry about it. It's not the end of the world if you're not right on schedule. It's not world peace. It will get done."

Well, no, it won't get done. Not unless I do it.

In the past week, I've started four blog posts that I haven't been able to finish. I just can't turn off the work stuff. Even now, I'm trying to get all of this out, just bitch about it for a while, and I'm thinking I should really be working on Chapter 4 first pages instead of trying to blog. I just can't do it.

O.K., I'm going to stop whining now. And get to work. Just wanted to let everyone know why the blog has sat so forlorn and neglected. And it may stay that way for a while.

No comments: