Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Bedroom Life

Dad--Don't let the post title deter you. This post is rated PG at the most.

[I promised my dad that I would warn him if I was posting anything I thought he would rather not read. The rest of you can take your chances. . . . ]

So, yeah--sorry about the long absence. My life lately has been something of a perfect storm of work issues, lots of people visiting from out of town, a busy social life in general, traveling on the weekends, and ungodly, unbearable heat to deal with the last few days. (Those of you here in town know of which I speak--it has been absolutely miserable in Cowtown this week.) And, since I don't have central air in my apartment, I've spent most of my energy when I am home lately trying not to melt and attempting to keep my animals alive and well. Hence the blog title--since the heat wave hit, I've been experimenting with basically living in my bedroom, where I have a window AC unit. The thing is, the only piece of furniture in my bedroom suitable for sitting/lying/relaxing on is . . . my bed. And guess what tends to happen when you spend a lot of time on a bed? (O.K., some of you need to get your minds out of the gutter right about now.) You wind up . . . falling asleep, of course. And, as much as it doesn't seem to bother my animals to sleep 18 to 20 hours per day, that doesn't really suit my lifestyle very well, or my incessant, nagging need to actually get shit done every now and then. So, obviously, the living-in-the-bedroom thing isn't working out so well.

My slight modification to this plan, now, is to crank the AC up as high as possible, situate a fan in the doorway of the bedroom, and aim said fan directly into the office. The idea is that I can sit in the office, fool around on the computer, and enjoy the cool air from the bedroom being blown in by the fan. The only flaw in this plan? It's SO frigging hot that this cool air, amazingly, manages to dilute itself to lukewarm by the time it travels the 10 or so feet from the fan to my body. Obviously, I need a better plan . . . but frankly, I'm sick of dealing with it all.

An alternative solution? Go out every night, of course! To a place with actual air conditioning! Which is pretty much what I've been doing. Of course, this plan has a downside too--basically, it's exhausting and expensive. So, here I sit for now, in the office, hot, tired, and semi-broke.

It could be worse, I suppose. I could be one of those old people you read about who don't have any AC at all and are found dead in their apartments days after a heat wave strikes, usually by a neighbor or postal carrier. For their sake and mine, I hope this ends soon. I'd like to get back to normal life (or "normal" for me, anyway).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It was 108 degrees in front of the shop today, according to my very smart car. I'm in the air conditioning at work, getting a champagne buzz. Hooray!

Missed you the other night--hope you got over it in time to enjoy laser tag!

Lulu