Sunday, June 17, 2007

A Whole New World

O.K., guess where I am? On my couch! And why, you ask, is that so exciting? Well, usually while blogging, I would be up in my office, where the computer is . . . but now, the computer can be anywhere I want it to be, because--I got a laptop! And a router! And it's a Mac, my first one ever, and I actually figured out how to set the whole thing up myself, so yes, I'm feeling a little proud right now. Granted, they've made things pretty user friendly since the last time I bought a computer, but still, there were a lot of steps involved, and I'm kind of amazed I didn't screw anything up.

The funny thing is, I sort of got tricked into buying this new computer--by my old computer. It was giving me some trouble last week--running really slow, trouble connecting to the Internet, etc. I kept running the anti-spyware programs, defragging, scanning discs, etc., and nothing really helped. Finally, yesterday morning, I couldn't get on the Internet at all, and I just got fed up. I've needed a new computer for a long time--my old one was from 2000--so I just decided to bite the bullet. And I bit it big-time, because as we all know, Macs aren't cheap.

Anyway, after a surprisingly pleasant sales experience at the Apple store, I headed home with all my new toys--computer, router, printer, and, to top it all off, an iPod Nano. I got out the manual, set everything up, and then tried to get on the Internet . . . and nothing happened. As it turns out, the whole problem was with my Internet connection, not my computer. So, thanks to my Internet provider, I'm out $1700, but it's totally worth it. I have iTunes at home! I can watch Quicktime videos! I have a new printer with a scanner and I can . . . scan things! And, I finally got an iPod! You know what's better than walking your dog through the woods on a beautiful Sunday afternoon? Walking your dog through the woods on a beautiful Sunday afternoon while listening to your favorite music. Our walks are going to be a whole new experience.

So, I'd like to take a moment to welcome myself to the 21st century. It's about time.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the 2001 century, and give my best to HAL.