Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Grocery Store Breakdown

No, I did not have a breakdown in the grocery store, although I was occasionally irritated by people parking their carts in the middle of an aisle in such a way that others with carts cannot pass them, while the offending person takes an inordinate amount of time choosing a bottle of salad dressing, oblivious. (Yet another instance of people failing to realize that others inhabit the planet. This is a major pet peeve of mine.)

Anyway, two nights ago I made one of my rare major grocery shopping trips. My usual trips involve stopping in when I need something specific or when I'm planning on actually cooking something, and just getting what I need right then plus a few other things, maybe. You know--the kind of trip where you just need a basket, not a cart. (This effectively avoids the above scenario where you can't push your cart around the carts of clueless others. Zipping around with a basket is much more efficient.) Every now and then, however, my kitchen reaches that near-empty point, where I've run out of just about everything and opening the fridge door and peering inside is just depressing. (There's something inherently comforting in looking at a full fridge and disheartening in looking at an empty one--don't you think?)

So, on Monday night, I ventured out to do some real shopping. I planned on spending about $70-80, which may not sound like much to some of you, considering I only do a major trip once every three to four weeks. But, I'm a single, relatively small person who eats out a lot--how many groceries could I need, really? That's the question I was asking myself when I exited the store 45 minutes later, having dropped about $130.

What I failed to remember--what I always fail to remember--is that I am a single, relatively small person who likes to indulge herself, and who also has three voracious animals who seem to never stop eating. Still, in the car on the way home, I wondered how I managed to spend almost twice the amount I had planned on spending. So, last night I got out the receipt and broke down the items I bought into categories, just to see where my money was going. Here are the results, in percentages*:

Cleaning products: 11%
Personal hygiene products: 8%
Sin items (beer, ciggs): 12%
Junk food: 7%
Condiments: 6%
Pet food and treats: 18%
Actual food: 40%

Hmm. I've always wondered why, even after a "major" trip, my fridge always seems to still look relatively bare, and this explains it--there's only about $40 of food in there. Very enlightening.

*Percentage may not add up to 100 due to rounding.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Today's headline,

SIN COMES IN A DISTANT THIRD IN NEW SURVEY!

The good news is that food still came in first, and your dependents were not neglected. You need to purchase bulky food item which need refrigeration or just more beer. Then you fridge will be full and looking good.

Sven Golly said...

What! No circle graph?

Thrifty tip: Cut your expenses 19 percent by eliminating cleaning and personal hygiene.