Sunday, April 30, 2006

Inertia

I've fallen into this awful pattern over the past few weeks in which I make all these plans for getting stuff done on the weekend, and then when the weekend rolls around, I accomplish . . . almost nothing. Seriously, it's like a disease or something. I've tried making a list on Friday of things I want to get done, but it's gotten to the point where even as I'm writing out the list, I'm chuckling to myself and thinking, "There's no way in hell you're going to get around to that, you know. Cute of you to try, though."

This week, for example, I wrote out the following list of Things to Do Over the Weekend [with additional notes in brackets]:

1. Do some work work (Chapter 6 manuscript, Chapter 2 first pages).
2. Clean office [which hasn't been dusted since I moved in three months ago--no kidding].
3. Clean bathroom.
4. Clean kitchen.
5. Unpack at least two boxes. [I still have about eight to go, all full of nonessential stuff.]
6. Tear down boxes in basement. [Yes, the ones I used to move in three months ago.]
7. Go shopping for spring clothes.
8. Get gifts for niece and nephew [whom I'll be seeing in Wisconsin next weekend].
9. Order copy of credit report.
10. Blog.

Now, had I been realistic, my list of Things to Do Over the Weekend would have looked more like this:

1. Go out with friends Friday night.
2. Sleep until noon on Saturday.
3. Browse the Internet.
4. Read novel.
5. Play online poker. [Yes, I've fallen off the wagon a bit, but under strict financial limits.]
6. Get the cats hyped up on catnip; watch them run around and go crazy.
7. Order pizza.
*8. Watch "Walk the Line."
*9. Watch an awful Halle Berry movie. ["Gothika"--truly awful and nonsensical.]
*10. Watch three episodes of Law & Order.
11. [Pending] Go to a movie with friends.
[*Note that these three were under the vicodin influence--can't do much else in those circumstances.]

Notice the complete and utter lack of overlap between these two lists? Kind of depressing. I think I'm just going to have to accept the fact that I'm not much of a "weekend worker."

Having said that, I have now officially accomplished #10, and I'm going, NOW, to get to work on #1. If I don't stumble upon a web site first that catches my eye . . .

2 comments:

David said...

If you are looking for an eye-catching website, you might consider www.whywontyougrow.blogspot.com--if you've got nothing better to do. :)

As to unaccomplished lists . . . while yesterday I was able to put down 80 percent of the 40 bags of mulch we purchased, AND get the grass mowed, we did not clean the house at all (don't ASK the last time we truly dusted . . . it would really make you sad and/or afraid).

But Lynda did go clothes shopping today and the girls DID play with the neighbor girl twice, so some things were accomplished.

Anyway, don't try too hard. You work hard enough as it is . . .

Sven Golly said...

Wow, can I relate. I get great pleasure from planning all the projects I'm geared up to do, but then Sunday evening comes and I have to cross out most of them in my little book of good intentions. I think you've inspired a blog post on best-laid plans.