Monday, December 31, 2007

Catch Up

So, it's been a while. December is a tough month. On one hand, here in the Midwest we have officially entered the White Sky Syndrome time of the year, where every day is cloudy and the sky is a solid shade of whitish-grey, all the time. It can be rather depressing, if you're prone to that, and at the very least, it can just drain all of the excess energy out of a person. At the same time, there's all the holiday shopping to do, parties, events going on at work . . . so, for the past several weeks, when I haven't been running around, I've been unable to resist curling up on the couch and hibernating a bit. So, that's my excuse--I'm pleading the ever-popular Couch Potato Defense.

And then again, the RWBF has been hanging out here a lot, and I find it difficult to write when he's around. This is a rather new development, him being around all the time. If it keeps up, we'll eventually get to a place where I can carry on with writing even if he's here, but for now, we're still at that hanging-out-with-each-other-constantly stage (which, admittedly, nicely incorporates the whole couch-potato thing).

A lot of you have been wondering how things are going with the old RWBF, and for the record, things are going really, really well. Believe me, I'm as shocked as anyone. For a while, I was kind of waiting for some kind of blow-up, some political argument that our relationship wouldn't recover from, but that hasn't happened, although we do discuss politics sometimes. And no, it's not some kind of ideal situation where we calmly meet in the middle, find some common ground, compromise and acknowledge valid points about each other's opinions, etc. Rather, we continue to disagree, strongly and consistently, about a LOT of stuff--more than not, actually. The amazing part is that I'm discovering that it really doesn't matter all that much--at least, not nearly as much as I always assumed it would. And I'm continuing to try to keep an open mind about it. The fact of the matter is, I've always dated liberal, like-minded guys . . . and for those of you keeping score, it hasn't worked out so well. My ex-husband, for example, was politically left of me, even, and in the end, that didn't matter one bit. The reality is, how you feel about politics has very little to do with how you interact on a day-to-day basis, how you treat each other, how you feel about each other.

UPDATE: I started this post a couple of days ago. Right now, it's Wednesday night, and the RWBF is here, sitting in the living room recliner and reading. Meanwhile, I'm sitting on the couch, blogging. Apparently, we've reached "that point" already. Weird. But good. More soon.

2 comments:

Sven Golly said...

Interesting fodder for debate: 'how you feel about politics has very little to do with how you interact on a day-to-day basis'. I'll have to think about that while plotting the death of my enemies.

Anonymous said...

Love that picture! Did a four year old take it, by any chance?