Monday, October 22, 2007

Grounded

So, guess where I am? In my office. Why? Why am I here? I have a laptop--I should be able to move anywhere in my apartment. I shouldn't be chained to this one specific room. But I am. Stupid wireless internet access.

It's a long story, and I really don't want to hash it out, but I've had a lot of trouble accessing my supposedly wireless internet recently. The issue has prompted a lot of intrigue, guess-work, etc., concerning why it's happening and what to do about it. Things have been attempted. Advice pours in. Nothing works. So tonight, I'm plugged in BY WIRE, attached to the actual cable that comes in through my office, and here I am--stuck, here in this room, if I want to be online. It's barbaric.

O.K., so I'm maybe blowing that a LITTLE out of proportion. But really, some of this stuff I (and everyone, really) have to deal with just makes my head want to explode. Sometimes it blows my mind to think that, until about six years ago, I didn't even have a cell phone. Until about nine years ago, I'd never had a computer, and had never used one except for the most basic of functions. Now, I have:

*A Mac laptop
*Various equipment for the Mac laptop
*A PC laptop
*Various equipment for the PC laptop
*A Treo
*A charger for the Treo
*A cell phone
*A charger for the cell phone
*An iPod
*A charger for the iPod

I could break it out in greater detail, but you get the idea. The thing is, I could easily deal with all of this stuff if it ALL FUCKING WORKED ALL OF THE TIME! Having to know how to troubleshoot every little thing that can and does go wrong with every single little thing you buy these days . . . THAT'S what I have a problem with. You pay good money for something, it should, well . . . WORK.

O.K., sorry about the ranting and raving. Going to try to calm down now. Peace.

2 comments:

Sven Golly said...

my favorite line: Things have been attempted.
amen to that. but wandering the streets with my loincloth and begging bowl, i have little sympathy for your predicament.

Sven Golly said...

...and even less patience with your reticence (at least in writing) about the continuing drama of life as a hip single professional. But not having walked a mile in your moccasins, I can't criticize.