Sunday, April 08, 2007

Diversion

So, today is one of those free weekend days that I love--no committments, nothing specific to do. I know this is not true today for a lot of you, as it's Easter--lots of family dinners and such going on. But truthfully, Easter just isn't even on my radar anymore. As an atheist, I sort of gave up on it a long time ago. I would prefer a more paganesque, spring-welcoming celebration . . . and it's kind of hard to get in the mood for that when it's 30 degrees outside and cloudy with snow on the ground. So, today is just a me-day, which is perfectly fine (and much needed after all the traveling I've been doing).

On days like this, I like to break up my activities into segments--surf the Web for a while, do some cleaning, watch T.V. or read, do some more cleaning, write, etc., whatever the mood strikes. (The cleaning part I have to force a little, but it's direly necessary right now. I'm actually considering hiring a cleaning service . . . more on that later.)

So anyway, I was just poking around on the Web a while ago, and I found this quiz about opening lines in novels. And I was kind of intrigued--I like quizzes, and, as a former English major, I was curious about how much of that stuff might still be stuck in my head 15 years after graduation (!). So, I took the quiz and got 10 out of 13 correct, which I felt pretty good about. It's nice to know that I have managed to retain a certain portion of my education despite years of brain-cell killing recreational activity. I will divulge that I missed questions 8, 11, and 13, and one of those was a sci-fi question, which I don't feel badly about missing. There were 2 others that I kind of had to use process of elimination and guess at, but the rest I knew outright. It helps that most of the lines are pretty iconic--you may very well know the answer even if you've never read the novel. So, if you want to kill a few minutes, give it a shot.

(Sorry about the fluff post, by the way. I'm working on something else--stay tuned.)


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I missed 3, 9, 11, 13. But wait. I was a science major.