Tuesday, March 21, 2006

About the new blog title . . .

No, it's not a reference to my general mood (although, sometimes . . . ) or to the state I feel my life to be in right now. It's actually the name of one of Kate Winslet's character's hair colors in "Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind." I love the movie, I love Kate Winslet, and I've always thought the phrase had a nice ring to it.

There's more significance to it than that, though, really. I'm not much of a blue-hair person, and I don't think it looks good, in general. It didn't even look good on Kate, who is gorgeous and could pull off almost anything. It takes a lot of guts and spirit to dye one's hair blue, though . . . and things that take guts and spirit don't always look so pretty. A lot of things in life aren't pretty, but we spend so much time and energy trying to make them appear so. I'm pretty much sick of trying to do that, so there's a tie-in, I suppose.

Then there's the theme of the movie itself. The whole idea of trying to erase someone from your mind, to spare yourself the painful memories . . . but then, you also deny yourself the happy memories, all the other stuff, the experience itself, everything about the erased thing that added to who you are, who you've become. It doesn't work. That was made very clear in the movie. So there's another tie-in.

Plus, ever since I heard the phrase, I've thought it would make a pretty cool band name. That was the clincher, really. Not that I'm starting a band . . . but everyone needs a great band name in their reportoire of witticisms.

1 comment:

Sven Golly said...

Yes, DO start a band! I have a garage. That's a start. First practice is right after happy hour.